Friday’s edition of The Lafayette featured the cover article “Setting up shop: Byerly discusses Greek Life” by By Michael A. Kowaleski ‘14 Editor-in-Chief. The article covers the convocation for the Class of 2017 of Lafayette College. From the article:
“Many alums talk about Greek Life, et cetera [sic], and what I told them was that the kinds of values that inspired their dedication to their fraternity are not only still represented but can be found in other aspects of residential life,” Byerly said. “If fraternities and sororities can meet the standards set up by the IAGGL process, I’m delighted to see them be part of that picture. ”
“I don’t believe Greek life is expendable,” she stated. “I believe if they adhere to the standards set, they have a place.”
For more on Greek Life and other topics from convocation, read the full article.
The newspaper is currently re-designing their website (thelaf.com). In the meantime, the newspaper is available in PDF format from the College Archives beginning at this link. The article concludes on page 4.
For those of you who missed reunion, President Weiss addressed the topic of fraternities and sororities meeting the standards under the IAGGL process during his final State of the College address on June 7, 2013:
We’re finding our way with Greek organizations now. We’re working in partnership with the students as closely as we ever have. They’re supportive of these initiatives. They’re performing at the levels we’ve asked them to. Their academic achievements are commensurate with the study body as a whole. And I’m proud of that. I think the way forward with them will be positive and I think that will be an important achievement for us so that we can all be rowing together.
You can watch this address at the College’s website. The sections relevant to Greek Life as of June 2013 begin at 27:20 and 43:00.
- Update from Winter Trustee Meeting February 10, 2014President Alison Byerly sent the following message to the campus community this afternoon. I write to provide an update on the Board of Trustees meeting that took place one week ago. I plan to provide such updates after every Board meeting, and hope that they will help to keep the campus community informed about key […]
- Statement on American Studies Association Boycott December 28, 2013President Alison Byerly sent the following email today: To the College Community: Over the last ten days a number of college and university presidents have released statements regarding the American Studies Association’s recently announced boycott of Israeli institutions of higher education. Some members of the Lafayette community have asked where we stand o […]
- Update from Winter Trustee Meeting February 10, 2014
- Draft IAGGL ReportThe draft version of the IAGGL report is now available for public review and comment. To facilitate community feedback, two open forums will be held to discuss the draft and to answer questions regarding the data or recommendations: Monday, April … Continue reading →
- Draft IAGGL Report
- DKE Faculty Reception yields huge turnout April 11, 2014 Michael Morgan
- Brothers Assist Planning Dine 3/9 March 13, 2014 Michael Morgan
- DKE Winter Externship Experience – Michael Goldman February 28, 2014 Michael Morgan
PollsSorry, there are no polls available at the moment.