Friday’s edition of The Lafayette featured the cover article “Setting up shop: Byerly discusses Greek Life” by By Michael A. Kowaleski ‘14 Editor-in-Chief. The article covers the convocation for the Class of 2017 of Lafayette College. From the article:
“Many alums talk about Greek Life, et cetera [sic], and what I told them was that the kinds of values that inspired their dedication to their fraternity are not only still represented but can be found in other aspects of residential life,” Byerly said. “If fraternities and sororities can meet the standards set up by the IAGGL process, I’m delighted to see them be part of that picture. ”
“I don’t believe Greek life is expendable,” she stated. “I believe if they adhere to the standards set, they have a place.”
For more on Greek Life and other topics from convocation, read the full article.
The newspaper is currently re-designing their website (thelaf.com). In the meantime, the newspaper is available in PDF format from the College Archives beginning at this link. The article concludes on page 4.
For those of you who missed reunion, President Weiss addressed the topic of fraternities and sororities meeting the standards under the IAGGL process during his final State of the College address on June 7, 2013:
We’re finding our way with Greek organizations now. We’re working in partnership with the students as closely as we ever have. They’re supportive of these initiatives. They’re performing at the levels we’ve asked them to. Their academic achievements are commensurate with the study body as a whole. And I’m proud of that. I think the way forward with them will be positive and I think that will be an important achievement for us so that we can all be rowing together.
You can watch this address at the College’s website. The sections relevant to Greek Life as of June 2013 begin at 27:20 and 43:00.
- Update from May Board Meeting/Commencement May 30, 2014President Alison Bylerly emailed the following message today: To the College Community: I write to update you on decisions taken at last week’s Board of Trustees meeting, as well as to congratulate the entire Lafayette community on a very successful Commencement weekend. As this was my first Lafayette Commencement as President, it was a very […]
- Presidential Task Force Reports Available Online May 9, 2014President Alison Byerly emailed the following to the campus community today: To the Campus Community: I am very pleased to announce that the three Presidential Task Forces convened earlier this year have now completed their work. These groups were charged with examining strategic issues related to curricular innovation and technology, enrollment size and pr
- Update from May Board Meeting/Commencement May 30, 2014
- Message from the President to the Campus CommunityPresident Byerly sent a message to the campus community today, in which she outlined the Board of Trustees’ endorsement of her vision for creating a unified and comprehensive residential program that connects and integrates residential, co-curricular, and academic experiencs for … Continue reading →
- Message from the President to the Campus Community
PollsSorry, there are no polls available at the moment.